Friday, February 20, 2009

My Ultra Fave Pizza Dough Recipe

search engine marketing
search engine optimization


Here are a few of my favorite bread recipes:

Whole Wheat and Honey Pizza Dough
This pizza dough is the best I've made yet. It's low fat, low cal, and my hubby and daughter love it. It doubles, triples and quadruples well. I will sometimes make a large batch and freeze the rest so that the next time I make pizza I just have to take it out and let it defrost on the counter and in a few hours it's ready to go.

1 pkg active dry yeast
1 C. warm water
2 C. whole wheat flour
1/4 c wheat germ
1 tsp salt
1 tbls honey

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a small bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes
3. In a large bowl combine half of the flour, all wheat germ and salt. Make a well in the middle and add honey and yeast mixture. Stir well to combine. Gradually add the remaining flour till it forms a nice ball that cleans the sides of the bowl. It should be smooth, slightly sticky. Cover and set in a warm place to rest for a few minutes. The longer you let this rise the easier it is to spread out on the pan later on.
4. Roll dough on a floured pizza pan and poke a few holes in it with a fork. You can also sprinkle cornmeal on the pan instead of the flour for a truly pizzeria feel.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 5-10 minutes, top with your best yummy toppings and bake until desired crispiness.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

What does the wheat germ do? Could I leave it out or substitute something for it?

Kathryn said...

Hmm, I don't think it does anything for the actual stability of the dough, it's just an extra, for nutrition and what not. You could leave it out. Try it, see what happens.