Friday, December 10, 2010

A Few New Fave Recipes

search engine marketing
search engine optimization




I have been enjoying a few new recipes lately and I thought I'd share.


Yogurt
I realize there is an abundance of yogurt recipes on the net, eh, but what's one more? Here's how I do it.


Food Stuff:
2 quarts milk
.5 c powdered milk
3 tbs bought yogurt


Equipment:
Microwave
Bowls
Cooler
Rice heating pads
2 quart and 1 pint jars
Kitchen thermometer



  1. Mix the milk and the powdered milk together.  (The powdered milk helps to make a thicker yogurt.)  Heat milk in the microwave.  I can get it to temp (180) in 30 mins on 90% power.  Take it out of the microwave and cover with a kitchen towel (this keeps a skin from forming, which is nasty.)  Let it sit on the counter till it gets to 110 or less, about 2 hours.
  2. While this is happening I take my three jars and place a yogurt cube in each one and let it thaw (I buy Stonyfield yogurt and freeze it in ice cube trays.  When it's frozen I store all the cubes in a sealed baggie.  You can keep using your homemade yogurt for culture, but I'm not that bold yet.  I like more firm yogurt.)  
  3. When the cubes are thawed and the milk is cooled, pour about a cup into each jar and mix with a long spoon or fork till the yogurt is combined.  Then fill the jars the rest of the way up.  Lid each jar, give each jar a little shake and then take them to the cooler.
  4. Place jars in cooler along with one or two heated rice heating bags.  Check the bags in about 4 hours, reheat if necessary.  
  5. Yogurt should be ready in about 8 hours total.  Refrigerate.  
I have found that yogurt made this way turns out so nice, not sour at all.  It is so easy!!  




My All Time Fave Granola
I should preface this with I got this recipe from Tammy's Recipes.   And this is the best granola I've had.  But I wanted to make it better, so here is my recipe:


Yield: 
10 cups
Ingredients: 
6 c rolled oats (I prefer thick rolled, gives it more chew)
1/2 c brown sugar
3/4 c wheat germ
1/2 c flaked coconut
1/4 c sesame seeds
1 c chopped walnuts, almonds,  pecans, golden flax seeds, or raw sunflower seeds
1/2 c nonfat dry milk
1/2 c honey
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 T water (if I don't have the dry milk, I just use milk instead of water here)
1 1/2 t vanilla
1 tbs cinnamon

Instructions: 
1. In a large bowl combine oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, coconut, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and nonfat dry milk.
2. Combine honey, oil, water, and vanilla in a saucepan on the stove till liquid. Add to oat mixture and mix thoroughly.  Mix in cinnamon last.  
3. Turn into two large shallow greased baking pans or cookie sheets. Heat in 300 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until lightly toasted. Stir twice during heating.  Or you can make it in your roaster, which I did and it turned out great!  
4. Let cool for 15 minutes after removing from the oven and then stir again. Store in tightly sealed container in refrigerator.  


One tablespoon of this granola is 36 cals.  I like this on top of my yogurt!




Energy Cookie Balls
I've upped my running recently, due to having signed up for a crazy race on the 31st of this month.  Who in their right mind runs outside in the winter?  Apparently me.  


Anyway, I usually run early in the AM, when everyone else is sleeping.  And usually I don't eat a thing before I run.  I take hot lemon water with me, but that's it.  Well I've been feeling very faint and just about ready to hit the deck after I'm done with my runs.  Not good.  Now this morning I didn't get up in time and had to run after breakfast.  I felt great!  I figured I needed to eat something, but I usually don't want to make something big, and I'm afraid I'll puke if I eat too much.  So I looked around at some recipes and found an energy bar recipe on my Miserly Mom's Cookbook.  But the calories were like 400 and some for one bar!!  No way!  I had to change the recipe.  The result was delicious!  


1/2 honey
1/2 peanut butter
1/2 sesame seeds
1/2 finely diced dried fruit
1 1/2 cups oatmeal (thin rolled is best)
1 cup powdered milk
1/4 cup shredded coconut (I used unsweetened)


Mix all that together, you'll probably need to use your hands, then form into 32 little balls.  Place the balls on a plate and freeze.  When frozen put all in a container and store in freezer.  Each ball is about 100 cals.  Not too bad for a morning run.  


Let me know if you like them!

No comments: