Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Watch Out Vera!

search engine marketing
search engine optimization


Ok, so as if finishing the quilt and pillows and shams wasn't enough, I made something else. I'm quite proud of this one. Actually, I LOVE it. Totally without a pattern or instructions. Well, mostly, I had a template for the flower.

My Sunshine Bag!  I crave the color yellow in the winter, I think because of the lack of sun.  I was thinking about making a lap quilt, but then saw tutorial about making a quilted tote.  I kinda ran with the idea and made my own.


Here is a close up of the quilting.  The area around the flower is known as stippling.  I did that on the back too.
 

The button closure and binding.


This is what the back looks like.  It's actually a big mistake.  I had tried to do one thing and found out that measuring accurately is very important.  But I didn't want to throw away all that fabric, so I went with it.  I think it looks neat!


A close up of the back quilting.


This is how I did the sides.  That is one continuous strip under the bottom and through to the other side.  I stitched in the ditch for the quilting here.  You can also see the strap.  I wanted something shorter than most tote bags offer.


Here shows the finishing I did on the outside seams.  It's called a french seam, wherein the raw edges are enclosed.  It gives the bag stability and durability.  It also makes the bag look nicer.  I did a basic liner for the inside.  Nothing fancy, that's why I have no pics of it.  I really like this bag and intend on using it for a long time!  Now I need a makeup bag for the inside.  Hmmmm.  Got to start thinking of that. 

What do you think?







2 comments:

Tammy said...

I think "Wow, good job!"

I'd like to sew myself just a regular (ie, not quilted) bag to bring to church for all the books and dvd's the kids take out of the library!

Rachel F. said...

That's fantastic! It's cute and well-made. Too bad you can't make a whole bunch to sell--I bet they'd be pretty popular. :)