Monday, October 26, 2009

Emetophobia

search engine marketing
search engine optimization

Blogging is therapeutic for me. I have always loved to write and express myself through writing. I need to confess.

I have an insane fear of throwing up. Puking, vomiting, loosing one's cookies, yes folks all of those phrases evoke irrational levels of fear, anxiety in me. I have been this way since I was very young. I'm not sure what has precipitated this fear, or even what to do to rid myself of it, but it's there.

The funny thing is, if there is a funny thing, is that the Lord saw fit to join me with a man who has a weak stomach. I am blessed to have a strong constitution, have since I was young. In our 7 years of marriage I have taken him to the ER 3 times for vomiting. I can tell you he wasn't the only one sweating and stressed out. When I was pregnant with Nadia we were touring the maternity ward of the hospital and I heard a woman vomiting. I nearly passed out. Now I think she was vomiting, I don't know for sure, but is sure sounded like it. And having been through labor twice and had the urge to purge myself, I'm pretty sure she was.

Then, if being married to Andrew wasn't enough, the Lord further saw to rid me of my fear by giving me a daughter that throws up a lot too. She gets a cold, she throws up.

Granted I've come a long way. It used to be that when Andrew was laying on the couch sick I would have to plug my ears during each 'session'. Now I just only need to look away. I still get quite panicky when someone gets sick, especially Rhys. But I am getting better with that point. I guess just having to deal with it is helping. But oh how I wish I didn't have to deal with it.

Now Andrew is a God-send when it comes to this. Because he's been so sick in his life (like we are talking for days at a time) he is so non-chalant about it, it doesn't faze him! He just does what he needs to do and that's that. I'm so thankful for him. The only thing is, when I get sick, he kinda freaks out. Just because I don't get stomach sick all that much.

Please tell me I'm not the only one out there who doesn't like the backwards motion our stomachs make sometimes? And tell me what can I do to overcome this?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

iccckkk...hate it..can't stand it. I have been known to section off part of the house where a child threw up until Paul got home from work to deal with it. I can't deal with it. I can barely handle babies spitting up!!! Luckily, I don't throw up much, even when pregnant. I am not really disturbed by myself throwing up, just by others doing it. ICK ICK ICK!!!

Donna said...

I'm with you both, and I have no advice. I also used to just cover it up and close the door until Brian was home from work. Now, I'll pay Noah to clean it up since it doesn't bother him as much as it does me. :P

Kim said...

I'm much better now that I've been through nursing school :) But I, too, have a fear of vomiting. Not necessarily the vomit itself, but the actual sound of it.

Shudder.

Anonymous said...

Good post.
I've been through this situation before. Years ago, I began to have symptoms of the dreaded disease ... of a sudden just started to be afraid to be sick away from home, and when I saw, almost not leave the house more. It was a very difficult time. Went through several psychologists and psychiatrists, and they just helped me.
To find a very good, in a nearby town. He even gave me a manner it considers most effective. I started to use some CD's and read some books of what he called self-hypnosis, and this proved very effective. Today is already on the internet the same package that he referred me (You can see here: http://bit.ly/emetophobia ). It also has enough content on the Internet.
Well, that's it! Hugs!